Saturday, May 25, 2013

Marlin on Gen6.d - part 1

Uploading a firmware to the Arduino based board is pretty simple but there are some rules you need to follow. In this series I'm going to explain a few things I learned in the past weeks about getting a working Marlin firmware onto the board.

The Gen6.d board is an evolution of the Gen6 design. It is sort of a plug and play board as it has everything you need to get started with 3D printing. The "delux", that's why it's called 6.d, version has support for a heated bed and the ability of autonomous printing thru the use of a SD card reader.

Through my struggle to get the board to work again after I uploaded an unsupported setup, I had learned there are a few differences in PCB versions for this board. So I own PCB version OK-PCB-0021-B1 which has a different pin layout from the first version of the board OK-PCB-0021-A1-3.

Also my Gen6.d board has an ATMEGA644P or so I thought ( link ) because when I made a high resolution picture of my board I discovered it actually has an ATMEGA644PA. 
ATMEGA644PA
This probably doesn't mean you need different drivers but it could explain why the "known" pin layout in the official releases of Marlin do not work. 

As far as I know there is no official release of an adopted Marlin firmware that works on a Gen6.d board by Romscraj. This is why I'm sharing my files with others so they may be helped a bit quicker. 

This is the end of part one.. I will continue my how-to in  "Marlin on Gen6.d - part 2"

No comments:

Post a Comment